The shred has officially been reincarnated HERE.  New functionality and expanded means of sharing ideas and media are available and continuing to be developed.  Please send an email to Phil, Taka or Jason if you would like an invitation to the new playground.  Namaste

Friday, August 15, 2008

Question




I posted about a week ago the new blog formed, which has all of these posts (except the last 3 I think). It is on Wordpress, which is an open-source organization that gives the opportunity to create really beautiful spaces.

I am going to write my thesis this year on Open Source/Wikipedia/Second Life systems which provide users with the ability to be the co-creators of content. In a metaphysical way, many have been saying that we are the co-creators of our reality...It doesn't to me seem a coincidence that we could also be the co-creators of our the way we operate in our culture, which at this point and time, and probably for a nice long stretch of time - is mostly through computers.

If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

I am not sure the if this is what everyone wants to do, but I am throwing it out there. My vision is to eventually creation a shredsomething.com which hosts blogs using the Wordpress software (because they allow you to do that for free). Then we could all create our own blogs, like the one I have created here, while simultaneously sharing the collected space. We could have feeds from the various blogs we create, along w/ news, and myriad multimedia.

Web 2.0/social networking software is still in its infant stages, but there is no doubt in my mind that this is the future. Watch how Facebook morphs. It is becoming increasingly easier to share information in clear and coherent ways.

I want to up the ante I suppose, keep it better organized, and open for more people out in the world to see. Through Wordpress, people can Tag surf...We can incorporate the widgets of Digg, StumbleUpon etc...and start really putting some good stuff together. This has been a blast for me, I hope it has been for you, and if you would like to know more about Open Source, I will be posting stuff on my blog as I go along to help facilitate my research process.

Thanks for your time!

2 comments:

dead.in.denver said...

by weaving oneself a node/s connected to the further broadcasting capabilities of a wider and international network of communication we can consciously and more humanely move forward towards higher common goals, thus erecting a world in which we can all better live comfortably in....web 2.0 if your out there, so are we....Taka i think wordpress functions nicer and look way better...i think we should all create personal blogs and tend them....i cant for the life of me figure out some of the features, and i may need to be reinvited...im down to switch it over

dead.in.denver said...

jan 20 2001, President estrada of the phillippines became the first head of state in history to lose power to a smart mob....more than 1 milion Manila residents, mobilized and coordinated by waves of txt msgs, and assembled at the site of the "1986 people power" demonstrations that toppled marcos regime. in 2001 bringing down a governmet without firing a shot, THE SMART MOB